Thursday, November 3, 2011

An Unconventional Student

Final dissertations and all the paperwork were due this week and between Steph, Jenn and I we have been trying to figure out how we were going to get down to Manoa.  Since we have full time jobs that coincide with the campus hours and live 30 miles away, which in traffic is at least an hour each way, it is not as easy as walking across campus to drop them off.  

I was going to head down to UH after work one day but since the kids were sick and I had to take the day off anyway we all went down to "college" together.  Our  adventure began with a stop at Auntie Steph's school to pick up her dissertation and papers and then we hit up the playground for a little fun before the doctor.  After the doctor we met Daddy for lunch and got to see his office and all his coworkers and then we made our way to UH.

As I pulled up to campus, I checked to make sure I had diapers, wipes, something to occupy the kids in case of emergency and most importantly my dissertation (Steph & Jenn's too) and tucked it all into the double stroller.  I unhooked my two little ones from their car seats, strapped them in and as soon as we headed across the street and I looked around I realized how much I stood out like a sore thumb!  I came to realize the campus isn't really stroller friendly, especially for a double stroller.  The small walkways crammed with students buzzing between classes and the lack of accessible ramps made it quite challenging to get to our final destination.  



It has been a while since I have been on the main campus and my horrible sense of direction made it even more challenging to find our way.  The kids were so engorssed in people watching they didn't mind, luckily.  Throughout the walk I laughed often as I reminisced (with myself) about the last 5 years.  I recalled driving to campus 2 to 3 nights a week with the girls, being pregnant in my last two semesters taking classes and hoping that Abby waited until  my stats was over final to make her arrival.  I looked at all the kids (cause I am 32 and old now and that is how they seem to me) and just thought of the different lives that we must have.  

After a few wrong turns and detours due to steps we finally made it.  While I was turning in all the necessary paperwork the kids were getting restless.  Abby was standing up in the stroller and wondering what the bell was for among other inquiries.  I told her the bell was there so she could ring it and say 'Yay mommy, your're finished!!!'.  She did and it was awesome!  We (the people working in the office and the other girl turning in hers) all cheered.  I can't believe I am finally done.

On our way back we stopped to take some pictures by the UH sign (unfortunately, the lighting was horrible) and made out way to Yogurtland.  I parked the stroller outside next to the bikes and other slightly cooler modes of transportation and got yogurt and toppings for the 3 of us to share.  There were a few other groups of young college kids hanging and they peered at Abby and Zack and probably wondering why on earth we chose to eat yogurt on a college campus.  I could see their smiles and I couldn't help but smile too.  I love my little crew as as unconventional as it may be I wouldn't want it any other way.  It has been busy but so worth it!

On another note, I do love being on a college campus and hope that I have a job someday where we can be closer to a college and enjoy the campus life more often.




No comments:

Post a Comment