Thursday, July 7, 2011

Broken!

Wednesday morning grandpa, the kids and I were in the middle of our semi-chaotic breakfast/ GMA/ playtime when our day took an adventurous turn. Abby climbed up on the lazy boy to read with grandpa and Zack and in spite of grandpa's suggestion that she climb up the other side. They looked so cute all snuggled together so I grabbed my camera to take a picture but instead had a perfect view of Abby slipping and falling backwards, breaking her fall with her tiny little wrist. I didn't really think much of it because she is very active and falls frequently but it never seems to bother her. This time, however, she was really upset. She became really agitated and couldn't tell me what hurt but I could tell by the way she was holding her wrist that something was wrong. There was no swelling or bruising but she continued to be upset so we finally decided to take her in. On the way there she began to calm down and I was convinced the visit was all for naught but we were already there so we had it checked out. They took us in immediately and Abby was really enjoying it. Seriously, as they checked us into our room Abby said to me, "I love the doctors". She was certainly the hit of the ER. I can't imagine they get too many happy little 2 year old in there. We snuggled and watched Elmo and had a really relaxing morning laying in a hospital bed, go figure!
 
As the morning went on I knew there was nothing wrong and was waiting to recount our morning to matt when after 3 hours the doctor popped on and said, "it's broken".   I was shocked! I looked at grandpa and just started laughing (I am sure there was numerous better reactions!). I couldn't believe my baby was going to have to get a cast:(. An hour later Abby was in a cast above her elbow and although she was happy to get the cast, as soon as she got it on and realized she couldn't move her arm with the heavy cast she wanted it off! Reality sunk in that a 2 year old in a cast was going to be a challenge!
Getting the cast on

The X-Ray tech had to come sign the cast
 
A brave little girl!
On the way home we stopped for a doughnut to distract from the cast since she was getting frustrated, "I don't want this anymore!".  We were asking Abby what she was going to tell people when they asked what happened.  She yelled, "No more monkeys jumping on the bed!"

The rest of the day was a series of ups and downs.  Sugar high, sugar low.  Lack of sleep and fussiness as a result (Abby too.  haha!).  

As of day 2, she slept all night ( I was worried the cast would wake her up) and is adjusting very well to getting along with one arm.  YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment